September 9, 2019September 9, 2019 0 Comments
Publications by Alex Obote Odora
- Hybrid Courts: Lesson from Rwanda and Sierra Leone (Freedom World Publishers, Stocholm 2021)
- How Gangster Regimes Undermined Justice in Uganda (Freedom World Publishers, Stockholm, 2018)
- Uganda: Confronting Impunity Through Accountability (Freedom World Publishers, Stockholm, 2015)
- The Judging of War Criminals: Individual Criminal Responsibility Under International Law, Juridiska institutionen, Stockholm, 1997 (a doctoral thesis)
- Africa’s Refugees and the Problem of Interpretation of the term ‘Refugee’: The Concept of the term ‘Refugee’ as used in the OAU Convention and its application to Specific Aspect of Refugee Problems in Africa, Stockholms, 1991 (Master’s thesis)
- Charles Chernor Jalloh and Simon M Meisenberg, The Law Reports of Special Court for Sierra Leone, Volume I, Prosecutor v Brima, Kamera and Kanu (AFRC Case), Books I & II); Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Leiden, 2012; 2046 pp African Journal of Legal Studies Volume 5, Issue 3 (2012) 339-343)
- Investigations and case selection (Anne-Marie De Brouwer and Alette Smeulers (ed) The Elgar Companion to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, (Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK. Northampton, MA, USA, 2016), pp235-264.
- Justice Hassan Bubacar Jallow’s Contribution to International Criminal Justice (Charles Chernor Jalloh & Alhagi B.M. Marong (ed) Promoting Accountability Under International Law For Gross Human Rights Violations in Africa (Brill Nijhoff, Lieden/Boston 2015), pp 440-477.
- Collateral Damage: A Dangerous Omission in the Law of Armed conflict, in Chile Eboe-Osuji (ed.,) Protecting Humanity: Essays in International Law and Policy in Honour of Navanethem Pillay (Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010).
- Transfer of cases from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda to Domestic Jurisdictions, African Journal of Legal Studies Volume 5, Issue 2(2012) 147-180.
- International Criminal Justice in the Shadow of Politics, development dialogue, no.57 December 2011
- Genocide on trial – Normative effects of the Rwanda Tribunal’s jurisprudence, development dialogue, No.55, March 2011
- Kony, Museveni and International Criminal Court: An Alternative View, Zanzibar Yearbook of Law, Volume 1, 2011
- The Prosecution of Rape and Other Sexual Violence, development dialogue no. 53 November 2009
- Accountability and complicity in genocide and mass violence, development dialogue no. 53 November 2009
- Case selection and prioritization at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, FICHL Publication Series, Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO), September, 2008
- Rape and Sexual Violence in International Law: ICTR Contribution New England Journal of International and Comparative Law 131, Vol. 12:1, (2005)
- Criminal Responsibility of Journalists under International Criminal Law: The ICTR Experience, Nordic Journal of International Law Vol. 73, No.3 (2004)
- Complicity in genocide as understood through the ICTR experience, International Criminal Law Review 22(2002);
- The Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda: Article 6 Responsibilities, The Law and Practice of International Criminal Courts and Tribunals 1(2002);
- Drafting of Indictments for the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Criminal Law Forum, 12 (2001)
- Prosecution of War Crimes by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, University of Miami International & Comparative Law Review, Volume 10(2001-2002)
- Conspiracy to Commit Genocide: Prosecutor v Jean Kambanda and Prosecutor v Alfred Musema, Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law, Vol.8, No.1 (March 2001);
- Human Rights in Developing Countries: Case study of Human Rights Implementation in Uganda, Volume XXIV of Thesaurus Acroasium: a publication of the Institute of International Public Law and International Relations, Thessaloniki, Aristotle University, Greece.(2000)
- Competence of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law, Vol.6, No.3 (September 1999);
- Legal Problems with the Protection of Children in Armed Conflict, Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law, Vol.6, No.2 (June 1999)
- The Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, Juridsk Tidskrift (Stockholm University Journal of Law)(1993-1994);
Selected Conference Papers
- An Overview of the Work of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, A Conference of East African Chief Justices, Nairobi-Kenya, 11-13 December 2009
- Lessons Learned by the Office of the Prosecutor in the Conduct of Appeals, 5th Colloquium of Prosecutors, Kigali, Rwanda, 11-13 November 2009.
- Criminalizing and Penalizing Genocide: The Experience of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Guest Lecture, Commemorating the 12th Anniversary of the Rwanda Genocide, African Union Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 7th April 2006
- Understanding and Fighting Genocide Ideology, Guest , Lecture, Commemorating the 13th Anniversary of the Rwanda Genocide, African Union Headquarters, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 7th April 2007.
- The Politics of Refugees and Human Rights, a paper presented at the seminar on Democracy and Human Rights in East Africa, at Uppsala, Sweden, on 5 July 1999.
Selected contribution to international Journals, Magazines and Newspapers
- AU Undermines Jurisdiction of its Court: What next in the battle against impunity (Nordic African Institute (NAI Forum) July 10, 2014;
- Decrimilization of Mass Murders, Rape and Sexual Violence: A Critique of President Mbeki and Professor Mamdani NAI Forum April 4, 2014;
- LRA Commander Dominic Ongwen: A useful asset to the ICC Prosecutor (Pambazuka News, Issue 710 , at http://pambazuka.org/en/category/features/93773
- Interim Report of the AU Commission of Inquiry on South Sudan below expectation, at http://pambazuka.org/en/category/comments/92671/print (July 31, 2014)
- Analysis: Why Uganda’s Court Rejected Museveni’s Appointee and rebuked the General, Black Star News, at http://www.blackstarnews.com/global-politics/africa/analysis-why-uganda (August 30, 2014)
- Why the struggle to oust Sam Kutesa must continue, Black Star News (June 12, 2014) at http://www.blackstarnews.com/global-politics/africa/why-the-struggle
- How To Prevent Gen Museveni from Stealing Uganda’s 2016 Elections (Black Star News (April 12, 2014) at http://blackstarnews.com/global-politics/Africa/how-to-prevent
- Following His Recent ‘Apology’ Comments, Museveni Must face legal consequences for mass crimes committed by his Army (Black Star News (February 02, 2014) at http://blackstarnews.com/global-politics/Africa/following-his-recent-apology
- Uganda’s Judicial Stacking: President Museveni’s war on Independent Court (Black Star News (July 16, 2013) at http://blackstarnews.com/global-politics/Africa/uganda-judicial-stacking
- The AU fights on to legalize impunity: ICC adopts one law for the poor, another for the powerful, NAI Forum at http://naiforum.org/2013/12/the-au-fights-on-to-legalise-impunity
- An AU absurdity: African leaders promote impunity for themselves, NAI Forum at http://naiforum.org/2013/10/an-au-absurdity
- Securing Congo’s Peace: Accountability for crimes by M23’s Commander Sultani Makenge and the Foreign Sponsors, Black Star News (November 10, 2013) at http://www.blackstarnews.com/global-politics/africa/securing-congos-peace
- The ICC and the situation in northern Uganda: The big picture (Acholi Times, April 16 2012) at http://www.acholitimes.com/index.php/perspectives/opinion/160-the-icc
- Analysis: How Museveni-ICC relationship works , Uganda Correspondent April 9, 2012 at http://www.ugandacorrespondent.com/articles2012/04/analysis-how-museveni
- Lessons for Uganda from Taylor’s conviction, Uganda Correspondent March 2013) at http://www.ugandacorrespondent.com/articles2012/04/lessons-for uganda
- Museveni’s Loyalist Judges, Pambazuka News, April 7, 2016
- Warlords Unfit to mediate in South Sudan: The International Community must appoint honest brokers, NAI Forum, January 7, 2014.